October 7, 2008

Rosario Drive


I finally got through 2nd Grade-- after a false start. And, without much effort I bagged the First Honor for academic excellence! But, I didn’t really try that hard; maybe the rest of the class was just less intelligent than I am. The following year, in 3rd Grade I was already struggling with Arithmetic; I didn't know how to cope and didn't know what to do. My classmates were waiting for me to do something smart because the competition was getting ahead of me. I chose to be dumb instead-- I volunteered to clean the classroom after class so I could copy the answers on the workbooks to supplement what I lack in smarts. I also discovered I couldn’t carry a tune even if my life depended on it; singing wasn’t my thing and my grades took a plunge simply because I can’t, for the life of me, sing solo in front of the class to earn my grade. My general weighted average was being pulled down by Music and Arithmetic and I don’t know how to cope. But, I was excelling in Art Class; I was master of the boards and I would repeatedly be called upon to do chalk art whenever the Cardinal or some dignitary comes visiting. I was good at English composition and Reading, too. I have a knack for remembering what I’ve read and I could recite it verbatim even if I have read it only once. One time, a teacher volunteered me to do the soliloquy in a play when the actor they have chosen backed out at the last moment. I agreed; the catch was, my teacher said when I agreed, was that I have to memorize the part in two days. No problem, I said; not really understanding why they were apprehensive about the whole thing. I don’t have to act, they said; I would just sit down on a stool, hold a hammer and a shoe then recite the assigned script. They knew I couldn’t sing in front of the class, so they figured I couldn’t recite three paragraphs in front of the whole school for the same reason. No problem, I assured them. I guess I did all right; I saw my teacher at the brink of collapse each time I faltered; I saw her heave a sigh of relief as I said the last word.

We walk, my younger brother-- "Flash Gordon", the Earth Man, and I, to school everyday. I had a great time taking the long way back home. And before long we have explored all the roads in the area. Everyday I’d pass by the corner store and I’d check out the “Okapi” pocketknife I’ve been saving for since I first saw it; by Christmas I would have bought it. I still have it! The day after Christmas was a special day for us, it was the day my younger brother and I go to Arcegas to buy a toy with the pamasko we got from uncles and aunts.

We used to go to a slot car race track at the corner of our street, too. We watched the races and wait for smash ups; the rich kids
usually just change the resin based top and throw away the wrecked parts; I salvage them and pieced them together with Duco cement until I had a working car of my own; but I never raced it at the tracks; it was enough that I have one.

I would later serve in Church as a Sacristan; assisting the priest in Mass. After each Mass, I could choose between Mandolin and New Frisco Bakery to go for snacks; it was free; maybe some kind on an arrangement with the priest or maybe it was the store owner’s way of giving back to the Church; or maybe it was their way of giving back for the business they get after each Mass. I never did find out; and I don't really care; but each time I go there I get a bottle of Choco-Vim and an egg pie or whichever pastry or soft drink I wish to have; that was all that mattered. My younger brother usually came with me when I serve and when he did I would go to both stores; get my free snacks and give one of it to my brother. Sometimes, I get to ring the Church bells, too.

We got our first television-- an Electone? Television broadcast back then were all in black & white; the TV had a rotary dial; a TV remote was still unheard of. We watched Keystone cops and other shorts; the movements of the actors were jerky and there was no sound instead there were sub-titles at the bottom of the screen so you could follow the dialog. I think it was more effective than Sesame Street; a lot of kids I knew learned to read that way.

The next school year, we moved to another apartment two blocks away.

Yeah Yeah Vonnel and Ban-Lon were the in-things… then God created Double Knit.


No comments:

Post a Comment