May 1, 2015

An LRT story


    The LRT crawls southward along its elevated track; it judders past warehouses and gleaming stainless steel water tanks precariously perched on run-down rooftops, past bridges and half-finished structures, past derelict tenement buildings, their windows plastered with yellowed newspapers ostensibly to keep the sun out, more likely to prevent prying eyes from looking in or maybe to prevent the occupants from looking out.

    Hanging by my wrist on a handrail as the coach rock from side to side and back and forth, I watch the buildings roll past me like a tracking shot in a movie. My mind wanders to the days when I had to take the trains to go to work; twice a day I am offered a passing glimpse into other people's lives. I always take the middle coach of the three-car train. Getting in thru the last or the next-to-last door depending on which had less people pushing in. From there I make my way to the middle of the coach and take my place on the pivot section of the train. At that time, there was no air-conditioning yet. It could become quite stuffy inside the coaches and sometimes it smelt like you got a sock-- drenched in sweat, stuffed in your nose. It wasn't always that bad though. Sometimes the weather was pleasant enough. The opened upper window helped. It let in a steady stream of air. Not fresh but it would do.

    Out of habit, I got in the next-to-last door. These days I seldom take the train, but when I have to go to Manila, particularly in the Sta. Cruz area I'd rather take the train than take my car. Parking the car and leaving it on the side of the street makes me anxious. The LRT trains are different now. The coaches are bigger and they're air-conditioned. They are still packed most of the time but somehow it is generally a more pleasant ride than before.

    It was already early evening when I took the train back to Makati. The weather was agreeable and there was a cool breeze. It was still rush hour and so the trains are packed. It would be uncomfortable I know but it would still be faster than taking a taxi. Traffic was horrendous at this hour.

    Two-thirds into my commute the train made an unscheduled stop; pushing away the cobwebs of stupor that commuters sank into as a shield against the drudgery of public transport I realized that the train was stranded between two stations. It wasn't unusual. The train is old and poorly maintained. Lately, there were more and more of these stops. It's all over the news. Settling back into stupor my eyes were lured into the window of a crumbling two-story house. The house looked pre-WWII. It is mostly in ruins. Darkness envelops the structure. I welcomed the distraction. My eyes scanned the ornate cornices and moldings, picking out more and more details as errant streaks of light danced through the facade. Gazing onto the blackness of the window directly in my line of sight I could faintly discern the shape of what looks like a portrait hanging on the drywall opposite the window. Soon enough a stray stream of light cut through the darkness. It was a portrait of a woman-- I think.

    The train stirred and jerked an inch forward. After a few seconds more the train purred back to life. Somehow my attention was drawn to a finger on my left hand. I caught a splinter in it a few days ago and the Band-Aid I wound up around it now looks like a dirty sock. I pull the soggy Band-Aid off the end of my pinky and look at the pale, wrinkled, pulpy flesh beneath, blood caked between the finger nail and the dead-looking bloated flesh-- a zombie finger. When I looked again the train had pulled up to the next station. I looked at the white metal plate that flashed before me. I took a mental note of the station indicated. My mind floated back to the image of the woman. The woman on the painting-- or was it a photograph, was holding up two fingers in what looks like a peace sign. Her eye close to the forefinger is captured in what looked like wink. A corner of her lips curled up in some kind of a naughty half-smile. Or so I think. It was like a mirage. And maybe as the image melts away from memory I imagine more than what I actually saw.

    I took the train again the following week and as the train was passing through the area where I remember the intriguing structure was, I looked for it but somehow missed it. It was mid-afternoon still. Maybe the harsh light somehow affected the way I perceived things. I let it pass.

    It was early evening when I passed the area again. I wasn't actually looking out for the building but there it was. And as the train passed by it I looked through the window and there was that painting again. This time I took note of the surrounding landmarks and without further thought got down at the next station. This is crazy. I do know what seized me but as my foot hit the pavement I stopped. For a moment I stood there-- and then reason drained out from my body. Before I knew it I was walking towards the house.

    And there it was. I actually couldn't see the house from where I am even if I stand on my toes.  A line of galvanized iron roofing sheets surrounded the house. The overgrown plants on the yard conspiring to cover it up even more. I was about to turn away when I noticed that a section of the galvanized fortification was hanging slightly askew on a hinge. Probably a workmen's ingress. Metal scraped concrete as I pushed on the makeshift door. Stray cats scampered away. "Tao po…" No answer. I walked up the driveway.

    I walked through the main door-- or what's left of it. The roof is gone too. Moonlight gave the place an eerie glow. I walked up to the main staircase. It was banged up but the concrete structure held. I walked up and stood at the landing to get my bearings. I made my way to the room. It was a bit tricky but I made it to the door. I pushed. Surprisingly it opened with nary a squeak. There was a gaping hole on the floor and so I carefully inched my way inside just enough to see "The Woman".  I blinked and waited a second or two for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. It wasn't a painting. Neither was it a portrait. It was a mirror. I began to turn around to see… and then it hit me. It was sharp. There was a moment of pain. I was dead even before I hit the floor.

    Days had passed when they discovered the twisted body. It was a murder-- stabbed in the heart, probably as he was turning around. Curiously, the dead man seems to be reaching for something. Indeed, just out of his reach is a portrait-- or was it a painting... of a woman. She was holding up three of her fingers-- like a boy scout.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment